I’ve just been given a diagnosis. Where can I find information about my specific mental health issue?

The Mind website has lots of really useful information about mental health diagnoses and other issues which may be related to  a mental health need. The information is presented in an a-z format. https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/

I need urgent help.

Sheffield Mind is not a crisis service and we can only provide help and advice during regular office hours. If you are in need of urgent help there are organisations that provide crisis care and numbers you can cal to get immediate attention and support = click here for details or use the link at the top of the page

Can I refer myself to your services?

Some services are self-referral; however for other services you’ll need to be referred by a social worker or other professional. Click on our individual Services for more information.

Where can I get free counselling?

We offer free counselling, but we sometimes have a waiting list. For details of other options, contact the Sheffield Mental Health Guide https://www.sheffieldmentalhealth.co.uk/

I’m concerned about my relative / friend / colleague.

It can be difficult when a friend or relative is struggling with their mental health. Let them know you’re there to help, talk about what they feel would help. Offer practical help such as making a telephone call to access support. Keep yourself, and the person, focused on positive things and day-to-day realities.

And if they won’t seek help…It’s common to feel frustrated if you think someone isn’t trying everything they can to get well, but try not to make assumptions about how they feel. If you’re able to make time to have an honest conversation and show them that you value what they’re telling you, it can be easier to move forward. Try to identify with the emotions that they’re expressing and the reasons why they might not feel they need help- fear, previous experience etc. This might help you both agree that asking for extra support and treatment could be helpful.

I’m isolated and would like to get out and meet people but I’m anxious.

Making the first step can be really hard, but having some support can help.

We’re involved in several ‘Springboards’ across the city. These are sessions where you can get a cup of tea and talk to other people in a similar situation. Staff and trained volunteers are available to help you feel welcome and there are activities you can get involved in. For more details, go to the Services section of this website.

Can Sheffield Mind come and talk to my organisation about mental health?

Yes we can and we can provide your organisation with mental health training. We charge for this service – please see our training section for more details.

Can you help me fill out my PIP form / help me with my benefit claim?

Unfortunately we don’t offer this service and advise you to contact Citizens Advice. https://citizensadvicesheffield.org.uk/

I’d like to fundraise for Sheffield Mind.

If you have a fundraising idea and you’d like to get the go-ahead from us, then email [email protected]

Can I interview a staff member / can you answer the following questions for my essay / dissertation?

Sheffield Mind is really keen to spread awareness about mental health issues, so we’ll do our best to help you out, but please be aware that sometimes we’re just  too busy and we won’t have any available staff to do this. Try to give us as much notice as possible!