Feeling good about your physical health can be a real boost to your mental health.
Sheffield Mind has been granted funding for three years (until 2017) to run the Sheffield Mind and Body Project through the Big Lottery’s Reaching Communities fund. The aim of the project is to improve the physical and mental wellbeing of people living in deprived and BME communities and the areas of greatest health inequalities in Sheffield. Courses and workshops seek to improve levels of physical activity, improve diet and self esteem, address stress and anxiety and promote relaxation, thereby increasing emotional resilience and reducing social isolation.
The groups are very informal and are designed to be welcoming, fun and inclusive. Some of the groups focus on mental wellbeing, others are designed to increase physical activity, some are in general to lead a healthier lifestyle & some are simply to engage in an activity you enjoy while meeting some new people. Please see below for details of upcoming courses, or scroll down for a history of our recent work.
To book on any of our courses please contact email@example.com or ring 0114 258 4489 (ext 108 or 119).
Upcoming Courses - Open to All
Dementia Information Sessions - June 2016:
Carer's Toolbox - Starts Mon 23th May 2016:
Women Only Gentle Dance & Movement - starts Weds 20th April
at PACA (Fir Vale):
Raise Your Voice - Singing Group Starts Thursday 21st April
Emotional Wellbeing in Darnall - Open to S9 residents:
Woodland Wanderers! Starts Wednesday 13th April: COURSE FULL
Table Tennis! Starts Monday 4th April:
Emotional Wellbeing & Stress Management Therapy coming to Heeley from 25th Feb 2016!
Love Food Hate Waste - 2nd March 2016
Film Group - start date 19th January 2016:
Creative Movement - start date 4th February 2016:
Carer's Toolbox weekly support groups - start dates 12th January & 29th February 2016:
Dance, Movement & Wellbeing:
- 6-week course in partnership with ShipShape at Meersbrook United Reform Church - Thursdays at 1.45 - 2.45pm from 5th November to 10th December 2015
Mind, Body & Soul Group:
- weekly social group at Parson Cross Community Forum - Tuesdays at 10am - 12noon from 17th November 2015 to 26th January 2016.
Anger Management courses:
- The Mind & Body Project also runs Anger Management courses (click for more information) for men and women
Carers' Toolbox courses:
- The Mind & Body Project also delivers Carers' Toolbox sessions as part of Keeping Carers in Mind (click for more information)
Bespoke Courses for Voluntary Sector Organisations
Are you working in the voluntary sector? We may be able to work with you to offer a FREE course to support your service users in a range of group activities. In the past we have delivered Emotional Wellbeing courses, Mindfulness, Seated Dance for older people, and Outdoor Activities within a range of organisations across Sheffield. Here are some examples of what we could offer, and scroll down to see our previous partnership work:
In our first year (2014 - 2015) the Project has so far successfully delivered the following courses and workshops:
- a six-session course run in partnership with Key Changes, a women's organisation located in Firth Park (Autumn 2014)
- 3 workshops delivered in partnership with Maan, Sheffield's Somali Mental Health project (Autumn 2014)
- 6 sessions delivered in partnership with the Terminus Initiative in Lowedges to refugee and asylum seeker women (Spring 2015)
- 6 sessions in partnership with Sheffield Foodcycle (Autumn 2015)
- A six-week course delivered in partnership wih Roshni, Asian Women's Resource Centre (Feb/Mar 2015)
- A six-week course run in liaison with Heeley City Farm/Heeley Green GP Practice Champions at Heeley Green (Summer 2015)
- 2 five-week courses run within the Manor and the Sheaf Springboard cafes (Summer 2015)
- A 5-week course delivered in partnership with Maan, Somali Mental Health project (Spring 2015)
Self Esteem & Stress Management
- Courses & workshops for children & young people in partnership with Firth Park Academy (Feb/Mar 2015)
- 2 six-week social groups in Low Edges, preparing, cooking, & eating low cost and nutritious food together in partnership with the Terminus Initiative (Summer & Autumn 2015)
Sports & Outdoor Activities
- A six-week Tennis Coaching & Play course with professional tennis coaches from the Tennis Academy, Sheffield (Summer 2015)
- A Community Football Team recruited in partnership with ShipShape (Summer 2015)
- A Walking for Wellbeing group exploring Sheffield parks in partnership with Manor & Castle Development Trust (Summer 2015)
- A six-week Movement & Wellbeing course for women from the Roma community in partnership with PACA (Pakistan Advice & Community Association) (Summer 2015)
- Young & Active, a six-week course for young people from the Roma community also in partnership with PACA (Summer 2015)
- Dance & Wellbeing course (Terminus Inititaive, Autumn 2015)
- Dance, Movement & Wellbeing (Meersbrook United Reform Church, Autumn 2015)
- Reading Group (Summer 2015)
- Film Review Group (Autumn 2015)
- A six-week Mindfulness course in partnership with Roshni (Autumn 2015)
The project is dynamic and courses continue to be developed and added. Get in touch for a discussion about what we could offer you as an individual or an organisation!
You can check our homepage for updated course information including booking onto courses, keep an eye on our Facebook and our Twitter, or alternatively contact us directly and we can add you to our mailing list to be alerted when new courses are announced.
Jon Friend - Project Co-ordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 0114 258 4489 ext. 108